People are honestly applauding a return to segregation?

Five months ago, Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed to "buy black" for a year. They would attempt for an entire year, to only shop and seek services from black owned businesses. This grand experiment was hailed as an attempt to boost black businesses and awareness. (http://www.ebonyexperiment.com/)

While I will tip my cap to their desire too help solve problems in urban communities and raise awareness for knowing your local community businesses, I cannot get past the simple fact they are actually advocating a return to segregation and discrimination. I would caution them to be very careful about the Pandora's box they are trying to open. If they want to patronize a particular business and help it grow, more power to them. If you are happy with a particular establishment or business, sure, share your opinion with others. But, how about their loyalty is earned by good service, good prices, and good value. As soon as your patronage is based solely on race, you are turning the clock back.

I realize race relations and equality still have a way to go in our country. But, we have come quite far in just 40 years, from segregated hotels, restaurants and water fountains labeled white or colored, to our first black President. However, we will NEVER have a color blind society if people continue to see the world as us, and them people.

Being in an open and free society, the Andersons can choose to shop where they like. If they like a dry cleaner owned by a black family, great. I hope the service and value are great. If they are, share your feedback, keep coming back, and the business will grow. I hope everyone does that. But, when you solely base your choice on race, you are simply reverting back to the racism which ran rampant in the deep south into the 1960s. What lessons are you teaching your children: Race is all that matters?

Where do they draw the line? Does the business have to be black owned AND operated? What if it employs a few Hispanic or Asian employees? Is it not black enough? What if a business is owned by an Arabian immigrant, but employs quite a few black employees? What if the business is owned by a black family, but the goods are not made by a black owned business? Maybe the goods are supplied by a Jewish owned operation, and made in an Asian plant?

I hope they can see the very slippery slope they are on, but sadly I think they are blind to the future ramifications of their choices.

I applaud their efforts to dig a little deeper, and know more about the companies and establishments they support with their business, money and loyalty. I support their right to do as they choose, shop where they want, and share their beliefs. That is the beauty of America. But, perhaps the greatest thing about our country is the freedom to do so and our diversity. Where else in the world do so very many different people and cultures come together?

After I read this article, I thought back over the past few weeks. I can recall one visit to take my truck in for maintenance. I was assisted by a young Hispanic mechanic, paid a young white female at the reception area, and realized the business is owned by a black man. Know why I will go back? Hint: it has nothing to do with race. I will return because they did a great job, quickly, and at a good price. THAT is the beauty of America.

I pray those involved will reevaluate their priorities and teach their children to understand their choices, to make intelligent choices, and to never evaluate someone strictly on the color of their skin. Or else their kids may get to experience a new era of segregation and prejudice.

Links:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hcZ0_TafcUSzMulAr_zRKwWvHVDQD984SLN80

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)