Attempting to clear up some Christian misperceptions (I hope)



Being a Christian does not mean we are weak, it actually makes me stronger. 
Where many who choose not to believe must rely on only what they have, we have a hidden source of strength known as faith. 
Where some say faith is an empty vessel, you have only what you can see and touch; we know of a place you cannot yet see and feel where we can find things like hope, confidence, assurance and conviction.  Those are not bad things.  Even convictions help us when the easy way is not the best way.

Being a Christian does not mean we need an iron-fisted supreme being to do the right thing, it means we understand the importance of being accountable for my choices and actions.
Where you say Christians and believers are all alike, we will tell you there are no two Christians and believers alike; we are all unique, even non-believers. 
Where you say Christians and believers simply judge everyone all the time, we will simply point out by even thinking such a thing, you are actually committing the very act which you profess to detest.  The fact is we are all defined by our actions, by our choices and by our deeds in this world, not by the "team colors" we wear in public.
Sure there are some who profess to be Christians (or other religions) who are simply using church as a religious country club, a social environment to be seen and heard, where knowing the secret handshake, the right code words and wearing the right clothes matter more than helping others and doing the right thing.  The non-believer world actually has the exact same groups and types of people.  We all call them hypocrites.  See, we actually do have some things in common.

Being a Christian does not mean we view ourselves as better than you, it means we have found a path to walk in life you have either not yet found, or chosen not to follow. 
Where the path leads, well, ultimately we will all find out one day, won't we?  Like all Christians, I believe will all my heart and soul I know where my path leads, but indeed, there is not one soul on this earth to do who can avow with absolute certainty, with unimpeachable scientific proof where all life paths end.  If there were, this would all be moot.  This is why the word we use is faith. 
And by the way, I choose not speak for God either. I am fairly certain if he wanted me to be his human spokesperson I would have received some form of rather public, obvious appointment to such a lofty position.  Rather I am driven to try and counsel others about where I believe God would guide us and make decisions and choices with the aforementioned accountability and long term outlook.

Being a Christian does not mean we don't believe in science. 
God created science, God created all the "rules" of the universe and therefore I embrace learning more about the world and universe in which we live.  To me it is similar to reading a new book in the Bible, we learn more about God through our learning about our universe and our life in it.
Where you say Christians fear change and progress, I will tell you all walks of people fear change and progress.  Christians I would contend probably embrace tradition more, for they see a greater significance to actions and choices than one who sees no such eternal accountability.  Some of us want to learn more from the past and carry those lessons into the future and we view it as a divine duty to do so, and it is an important voice in the chorus of human debate.

Being a Christian, I have been asked before: "How do you view God?  He appears to be a very angry, wrathful, unyielding supreme being." 
And my answer (which I am sure is still inadequate) is this: "I view God as a parent.  He loves us, He guides us.  I respect his guidance.  He gets disappointed in us, and yes, perhaps you could even say He punishes us, exactly the way a parent would.  But, through it all, there is a path for us to follow.  Read the story of Jesus, understand in the Christian view, he is the Son of God and also God (part of the divine trinity if you are curious).  He loved everyone.  He sought out knowledge and understanding.  He spoke of helping your fellow man.  Following His path always led to the world being a better place.  The way to the Father is through the Son (follow Jesus' path-you are starting to see the theme aren't you?)."
I have seen so many "battles" online between those who believe and those who do not, even between different factions of believers and Christians.  Between those who place every importance only in this world, this universe and the now, versus those who view this as merely one universe in a sea of possibilities and the now as one billionth of a second in an infinite amount of eons; and between those who argue over whether how much water is necessary (in their eyes) to secure your divine salvation.  

If you have chosen not to believe, I am truly sorry.  I hope somehow this might lead you to at the very least, ponder your position one more time.  I will continue to pray for you, to offer you an example of Christian Life which I would hope is different (in a very good way) than others you might have experienced in your lifetime.  If you are uncertain of your true beliefs, I encourage you to talk with others (friends, loved ones, or if it is helpful you can even try me).  It is possible to have an open conversation with a Christian without fire and brimstone involved.  I know some of my friends will suggest fire and brimstone need to be brought to bear at all times, but I believe God gives us all different gifts, talents and tools to work with, and on this issue, mine is simply a less dramatic approach.  

Why did I write this?  Honestly, I just felt compelled to put these words online today. It is only a blog/post and not a treatise on religion and atheism in the modern 21st century world.  I just see so many people throwing down over religion versus science, or belief versus non-belief.  Look, churches and religions have done some very bad things throughout history, and so have those who follow nothing but science.  History is rife with unfortunate incidents and choices for both camps.  I just hope to help the dialogue move forward even if it is just one tiny step.  Either that, or I just ticked off every group of friends I have...it is a Monday after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)