The Monty Python Finale (Live)



Yesterday I had the privilege of watching the Monty Python troupe perform together live for the last time.  The show broadcast live from the O2 theater in London featured the group doing their old classics as well as a few updated skits.  The 10 shows which ran over the past 2 weeks sold out in 44 seconds when the tickets went on sale.  Wow.  The show was a nice homage to their past and a reminder of what they have meant to comedy these past 45 years.  Stephen Frye, Warwick Davis, the Top Gear guys, Mike Myers, Brian Cox (physicist) and Stephen Hawking were also in the show. 

In the theater of roughly 200 seats, I do believe I qualified as one of the youngest audience members.  Perhaps 10, at most 20 people could have been younger.  I guess sadly the younger generations have not learned to appreciate the more cerebral British style humor they helped usher into the mainstream during their run.

Anyhow, in honor of their farewell, I wanted to list my favorite sketches and link to them in the hopes to spread a little laughter in the world and perhaps help someone new discover the hilarity of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

So, here we go (and yes, this was hard to do)  Note, there is some language in a few of these:

10) Wink, Wink Nudge, Nudge

9) Spanish Inquisition


7) The World's Funniest (Deadliest) Joke

6) Blackmail

5) Crunchy Frog

4) Lumberjack Song

3) Michaelangelo & The Pope Discuss The Last Supper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Aj7W3g1qo

2) Dead Parrot

1) Argument Clinic

I should point out I had to leave off some other famous and quite good sketches you can google and see anytime, such as: Cheese Shop, Ministry Of Silly Walks, Buying A Bed, Spam, Four Yorkshiremen, Philosophy Football, Hell's Grannies, The Silly Olympics, The Logician, and the Fish Dance.  If you are feeling especially brave there is The Penis Song and Sit On My Face.  Yes, those are about the most raunchy things they ever did.  I don't honestly believe any of the other skits I listed even have curse words, or if they do they are quite few and far between.  Those are just from the show. 

If you add the classic Monty Python and the Holy Grail, well, now the number of sketches goes through the roof.  Just watch it sometime.  Some people just simply "don't get Python" but hopefully you will.  I hope you enjoy.  Admittedly there is a part of me which is sad today.  Even though they had not performed together in nearly 30 years, there was always hope they would.  Now that they have, I am just sad there won't be more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)