Battlestar Galactica: The Best Frakkin Show on TV

As I sit to write my first non-serious (well less serious) blog in quite awhile, I find myself disappointed the last BSG episode will be airing in less than 72 hours. Ever since 1987, when Star Trek: The Next Generation went on the air, I have ALWAYS had a Sci Fi themed show to watch year in and year out. TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise from the Star Trek franchise; Quantum Leap, Sliders (for the first few seasons at least), The 4400, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and of course, BSG.

My love of Sci Fi will come as a shock to no one who even vaguely knows me, as it has been my favorite genre since my first glimpses of television as a child. But not all Sci Fi is good. Some of it is downright awful. However, what sets the shows above apart from all the others (Sci Fi and mainstream) is so simple to understand. Writing, really amazing writing, which emphasizes character development and the everyday challenges we face. It leverages a make believe universe to tell a story and provide a backdrop where the story of the human condition can be told free of the "baggage" of political correctness, and shed the bland drivel which seems to permeate modern TV shows.

I could write pages of the clever ways these stories have been told. However, I don't wish to carry the Sci Fi torch here, but to pay tribute to the masterpiece which has been BSG these past 5 years. Star Trek almost always told a tale where humanity had overcome adversity and sought to learn and explore the universe. I love it dearly, since it does present an optimistic future in it's made up universe.

But the shows I love most, DS9 and now BSG, have presented a darker picture of humanity going forward, and to me, a more realistic representation of the struggle between good and evil, in the world, and (even more importantly) inside us all. Good people faced with dilemmas, balancing their conscience and morality and trying to steer the right course, and seeking a higher purpose.

Many people, some of my friends included, will say BSG is a dark view of humanity, and question it's message in light of their faith. My reply is simple. Throughout our lives we will face temptations, dilemmas, our darkest fears, our moments of complacency, insurmountable odds, faith shaking crises, and more choices than we can possibly count. But from the darkness, comes the light. If you are standing in broad daylight, how can you shine? But, in the darkest hours, a light can stand out the most.

Here I am nearly a page in, and I have yet to really talk about the details of the show. Let me step back a bit and describe it as best I can this evening. Battlestar Galactica revels in telling these compelling stories, dealing with complex characters, struggling to survive day in and day out, with some amazing space battles mixed in. Wow, what an injustice.

BSG is simply came (back) into existence in late 2001 as the writers began to formulate their plans for the mini-series and start to choose a cast. The world was in chaos. And the show simply put all that emotion and turmoil into itself. How do you deal with the adversity? What if things had been worse, how would we have reacted then? How far does faith go? How do you keep going forward day after day?

To some, it will simply remain Sci Fi space drivel. The show does not lend itself to mindless entertainment. It requires an appreciation of the dilemmas being faced, the deeper issues being explored. It is not taxing, but I would say you have to think as you watch. Since almost all of the shows are on DVD, try the mini-series and the first few shows. Like any show, there are some duds and some amazing moments. The first 4 episodes of Season 3 are simply among the best hours of television ever broadcast. And what a twist on current events. Just enough to make you think.

So, thanks Ronald Moore, David Eick, and the cast, crew and writers of the past 4 seasons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)