Take A Chill Pill People, It's Facebook...

Recently, I had the interesting experience of watching the political debates of the day mushroom into epic verbal battles here on the pages of Facebook. I know for many, this is why they stay far away from the political discussions altogether. Very few desire confrontation in general, and certainly not over something like Health Care Reform, the Nobel Peace Prize or government spending. I don’t welcome a war of words. However, I am not willing to sit on the sidelines and allow others to censor my thoughts or my voice. Somewhere there is a happy medium.

This past week, I had a “Facebook friend” who decided to throw down over the role of government.

Facebook friend? We attended the same high school, where we were never really friends, but one of my other friends knew them, so I accepted their Facebook request when they invited. I guess I thought I might expand my circle. I don’t know. Well, I did learn from this: I will never accept any future invites for people I did not “friend" with in real life. Now back to the point.

Our verbal barrage began over the belief I have that health care, a driver's license and a job are not rights people simply have and deserve bestowed upon them by the government. I spent many years in school studying civics, history, and the US Constitution. It remains my contention these are privileges and not guaranteed rights. We do have one right however which is most prevalent to this blog: the right to free speech.

We went back and forth on a few comments, myself detailing my core beliefs in a person accepting personal responsibility for their life choices, and not looking for the government to bail them out, or play the role of parent and make everything alright. I admitted our health care system is not perfect, but simply dug in and said the government does not belong in the health care business. I did so with parody, sarcasm and the occasional bout of passionate rhetoric. She chose to rail against my ‘hardened stance’ and said she had dealt with the evils of government-run Medicare and the medical establishment. She apparently thinks the government owes her and everyone medical coverage. She actually believes the government can do this, affordably and well. This is where we really disagreed. As simple as that.

But it was not enough. She decided to cross the line and added "Hopefully your parents will not suffer any sort of long term illnesses so you really have to learn to circumnavigate the system. But then on the other hand, that might be good for you." Thanks. When someone stoops to the level of actually wishing ill will on one another to win a simple argument, I can certainly understand why people refrain from Facebook posts over hot-button issues.

Personally, I want to win people's hearts and minds to my cause, but I have never been willing to condemn someone to bad health, death, or hell itself over a political idea. I feel pity for someone who is so small-minded and threatened by a competing idea they simply cannot cope, but I also feel a sense of contempt as well. I can admit that. Even still, I will gladly defend their right to speak their mind, just not as one of my friends, Facebook or otherwise.

You see, I believe in the first amendment, on Facebook, on a car bumper, or out in public. Whether you follow Rush Limbaugh, Barrack Obama, or Mister Rodgers, you have every right to speak your mind. But some would have you believe we now live in the LAND OF THE FREE, BUT ONLY FOR ME?

How far has our country sunk that we can "hate" one another simply over our political views? I have heard many devout Republicans and open-minded Democrats sling some of the most hateful speech across the aisles these past few years. People wishing failing health and ill well on Presidents from both parties, saying they love everyone, when they really mean only everyone who thinks like they do.

Why blog about all of this? Well, I do not intend to be silent. Anyone who really knows me realizes that not one cell of my being can sit idly by when there are issues which stir my soul and my passions. I know I will be wrong sometimes, I know perfection is not possible, but I will still try to be the best person I can be. One of the ways I try to get there is by talking things through with people, sharing experiences, viewpoints, debating and discussing beliefs and even funny stories. Sarcasm, parody and humor are some of my preferred methods of engagement.

The open and honest debate of ideas is a great and wonderful thing; our nation was founded on that very principle. Therefore, this recent trend of making everything so hateful and personal is disturbing, and sad. So, I intend to keep on trying to keep things civil and reaching out where I can.

In that vain I will note one more ideal. Whether one likes or hates the views of Glenn Beck, I heard about an idea he had that I think everyone should embrace. He called it the 9/12 Project. Its mission statement: "The 9-12 Project is designed to bring us all back to the place we were on September 12, 2001. The day after America was attacked we were not obsessed with Red States, Blue States or political parties. We were united as Americans, standing together to protect the greatest nation ever created."

We really do need to try and find a way back to where we can be passionate in our ideas and our beliefs, and still get along as Americans. I hope more people will try to be a voice of reason in a world of chaos, and not just sling mud and spit venom across the aisle. In the case of my former Facebook friend, I wish her well. Karen, I have more pity than contempt, and hope one day you will ‘see the light.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)