Thoughts About The Chick-Fil-A Litmus Test and Civilized Discourse

After all the hubbub this week online about Chick-Fil-A, I am left wondering: Why do so many in the world today have so much contempt, angst, or disdain for those who think and feel differently than them?  Especially people we supposedly consider "friends" online?

I am continually amazed at how open and honest debate and discussion have been shoved aside by our modern culture, it is all about absolutes now.  Once upon a time we celebrated our differences, and worked at getting along together.  I read some of the most belligerent and uncivilized banter this week online, from every corner. I did see some intelligent discussions included too, so perhaps there is hope still.

I know I have certain issues which are outright passions of mine, and I will certainly defend my beliefs and give voice to my thoughts whenever I feel so compelled.  I have never wished ill well on someone's family, but I cannot say I have never had that happen to me.  During the health care debate, I had one former classmate actually wish for members of my family to become deathly ill so I could experience the horror of her experience with Medicare.  (Note: I never did figure out how the same people who run Medicare are going to actually fix health care for everyone if they couldn't even make it work for just part of the population).

About the Chick-Fil-A debate:  As the word spread of the planned activities of August 1, many people took to Facebook to express support, or plans to protest.  As emotions began to ratchet up, it seemed as though everyone had to choose a side.  You were either for or against it, no in between.  Nope, sorry, no sidelines for this battle.

I felt caught in the crossfire.  I worked at Chick-Fil-A in high school and for a bit in college.  I met my wife there (she worked there too).  I can quite literally say if I did not have Chick-Fil-A in my life, I would not have the two very wonderful and amazing children I have today.  I have friends who own franchises.  They are good people who treat their employees well and donate quite a bit to charity.

On the other hand, I have gay friends.  I want them to know I love and support them as I do all my friends, and I certainly don't want them to feel I don't care about their struggles as well.  I know they are largely shunned from the Christian community, from parts of society and the world.  They face all kinds of obstacles just by simply stating their preference publicly.

Listen, I understand gestures and shows of support.  But in the end, let's get real here.  From here on forward, whether you eat at Chick-Fil-A on August 1 really isn't going to decide whether you support gay rights or traditional family values. If you want to make a real statement about CFA and it's president's particular view on the topic, you will either eat at CFA every day (except Sundays) or you will never eat there again.  That is a statement!  I find the August 1 thing to be a simple publicity stunt, either way.

Look, I use Facebook as a forum for my thoughts, beliefs, observations, ideas and as a venue to keep up with friends and family.  If you are the sort of person who is easily offended, who can't stand ripples in the water, who can't live with differences, who can't take sarcasm or occasional criticism, please do us both a favor soon and hide my wall or if you just can't take it at all, click the X next to friend.  I sincerely hope you don't, but I really am sick and tired of seeing friendships suffer because of stuff said online.

There are several other blog topics in here too, and I wish I had time today to give voice to them all: more discussion of how the email, texting, Facebook and Twitter have nearly killed true meaningful communication; how rarely people actually talk in person anymore (certainly not often enough about meaningful or controversial issues); are people just afraid of other views; my views of the modern church; my views on those who seemingly think all Christians are exactly alike; etc. But that is for another time.

Let me close by saying this: I am a Christian.  I respect Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Mormons, Agnostics and even Atheists' rights to believe what they like.  I do not wield my faith like a club.  Where I disagree with their ideology or faith,  I will certainly express it.  In the end, we all make our own choices and I truly believe we will all answer for our lives at some point: in this life, the next life, or even both.  How we treat others ultimately is more telling than a label.  I sincerely hope my friends will find I have always been genuine, authentic and honest.  I will be wrong, I will be right.  I will be bold, I will be vocal.  That said, hopefully I will always be someone you can happily call "friend."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)