Questions About The Human Soul

Where does the soul reside in people?

Yesterday at lunch, my friend Jeff and I had one of our more interesting discussions. He recounted to me a chapter from a book he had just finished reading about cadavers called Stiff. Apparently there was a section of the book which told of researchers trying to determine the weight of a human soul, weighing people before they died and again after they died, in an effort to see if they could determine the weight of a human soul.

Rather than carry the discussion in the direction of how these must be government researchers, since they were obviously wasting large sums of money on a fruitless effort, he asked me the question: Where do you think the soul is?

Well, I am sure the average American on the street might be polled and the results would indicate a strong showing for the heart being the leading candidate (especially among Twilight fans), but I chose to ponder Jeff’s question for a few moments before I responded.

My answer was rather concise, and I chose not to go into detail then, simply because I wanted to ponder my answer further before just saying the first thing that came into my head, like a Rorschach test. After a good 15 seconds of silence I said, if it has any physical home, I think it would have to be in the base of the brain.

In pondering it further, I decided to clarify my answer, by saying I think the soul truly has no physical form or weight, but I think it might rather derive its “power” from the brain, much like an iPod derives its power from a battery. Once the brain is dead, the soul moves on. Sure, it is a very simple answer to a rather large spiritual question.

Now, Jeff and I went on to discuss how we thought it could not “reside” in the heart, simply because people have heart transplants these days, and I don’t believe when people receive a new heart, they get a new soul. Obviously we ruled out livers, lungs, kidneys, blood, plasma, bone marrow and tendons as well. And don’t go looking for stem cells to solve this mystery either.

No, I guess if you really ponder the question of where a soul resides you might come up with a number of possibilities, and I would be curious to know your first thought when you read the question above. Perhaps now you are thinking again.

I don't want this note to get too long and drawn out, I just found the idea interesting. I wonder if Christians have really asked themselves such a question very often? So, the comment section is now open for business.

It just goes to show, when Jeff and I have lunch chats, you truly never know where the conversation will go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)