2019 NFL Draft speculation

Here we are just days away from the 2019 NFL Draft and there is so much uncertainty and precious few things we can really count on.  I have had some luck through the years, but admit I watched less college ball in 2018 than in years past.  I didn't enjoy seeing FSU play much at all and the overall lack of quality QB play really made it tough to sit and take in a lot of games.

Nevertheless, it is a tradition.  It appears I am better at predicting busts than stars, but who wants to hear about the next Manziel, Tebow, EJ Manuel, Locker or Freeman busts?  I hit on Jameis and Mariotta so far being mediocre and likely disappointing overall, but only the Wentz pick to be great looks solid in the past 4 years.  The jury is still out on Mayfield, as even last year I said he would be the first to start and thought he would do well, but couldn't be sure. 

Anyhow, here are the 2019 predictions so I can look back in 2-3 years and go...what were you thinking?

I am squarely in the camp of thinking Kyler Murray may be Tyrod Taylor/Andy Dalton on the up side.  I see flashes of greatness, but I also saw struggles with the Bama defense and several throws into double and triple coverage meaning he misread the play.  It could be his splitting time at 2 schools, plus playing at a high level on the college baseball field is what has held him back, but I just can't shake the idea he was a product of a great system at OU and while talented, our view of his ability is tainted for the better by how well Mayfield played last year.  I think Mayfield proved to be a strong leader on the field and off, he walked on to both schools and won the job.  Murray couldn't win and keep the job at Texas A&M (albeit Sumlin was/is a terrible QB coach) and then had to wait behind Mayfield, so he wasn't clearly better than Baker in 2017 either.  So, I think he may do okay, I just don't think he is going to be a star, and may be done as a starting QB before he is 30, ala Taneyhill. 

As for the QBs, I guess I would say Haskins is the one I think could be the best of the crop, but again, only started one year and has a lot of questions still to answer.  I do think he can be a solid starter type (maybe Joe Flacco/Kirk Cousins as a comparable?) but again, I don't see a superstar.  Drew Lock may be able to improve enough to be the standout from the class of 2019, but I wonder about his mechanics because accuracy is usually the biggest tell of NFL futures, and Lock improved quite a bit in 2018, but still struggled with falling away on throws, missing easier short and medium routes, so...if he gets a QB whisperer, maybe he becomes the standout guy, but I am not sold.  Neither Grier, Duke's Jones, Stidham, Finley, nor Browning look like starters.  So...maybe Rosen gets traded to Washington or Miami and solves a problem at one of those spots?

As for other players, I will just list some guys I think will be starters and good, others I think will be busts and enjoy a good laugh in 12-36 months when I re-read this:

Studs:
DE Bosa (OSU)
DE/LB Allen (Ky)
DT Williams (Bama)
TE Hockenson (Iowa)

Solid Starters:
WR Hakeem Butler (Iowa St)
C Bradbury (NC State)
MLB White (LSU)
S Abram (Miss St)
CB Baker (UGA)
WR N Harry (Ariz St)

Surprises:
WR Hardman (UGA)
S Edwards (Ky)
TE Sternberger (Tex A&M)
RB Montgomery (Iowa St)
WR Samuel (S Car)
QB Easton Stick (NDak St) - I think he gets picked

Busts:
DT Oliver (Hou)
DL Gary (Mich)
DE Sweat (Miss St)
WR Metcalf (Ole Miss)


2020 Too Early Sure First Rounders
QB Tua (Bama)
QB Herbert (Oregon)
WR Tee Higgins (Clem)
T Thomas (UGA)
T Little (Stanford)
DE Espenesa (Iowa)
DE Young (OSU)
QB Fromm (UGA)
WR Shenault (Colo)

Other miscellaneous predictions for 2019?  NE will trade out of the 1st round.  So will the LA Rams.  Denver will either trade for Rosen or draft a QB before the end of round 2.  The Bucs will either draft MLB White or...if he is gone, they will trade down and get a corner later in round 1, and the team they trade with will draft Haskins. 

QB Draft order: Murray, Haskins, Lock, Jones, Grier.  No more than 4 in round 1, and maybe only 3 taken. 

Anyone else want to take a shot? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)