unChristian, A Book Review

This was originally posted on 6/6/2008

Well, I have not blogged much lately. There have been many things occupying my time, energy and thoughts these past couple of months, and while I have had many ideas about writing some of my thoughts down, I have been unable to get a few clear topics to discuss.

Several of these topic ideas may get time in the coming weeks (Friendship, Dealing With Adversity, even football). But first, I have decided to share some thoughts on another book I have read, which ties into some of my earlier blogs.

A few months ago, I wrote about a book called "I'm fine with God...It's Christians I Can't Stand" by Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz. It helped give voice and attention to some of my concerns with the direction of my faith. It truly struck a chord with me. You can tell by reading the older blogs.

Over the past few weeks, I found another book which has made me take a look at myself and my faith. The book is called "unChristian" by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. This book primarily deals with a three year research study to "what a new generation really thinks about Christianity" and opens some eyes about the perceptions the younger generations of "outsiders" have of the faith and those who follow it.

I do not want to try to condense the book into a Cliffs Notes blog, but I want to highlight a few things in the book, share some very insightful passages (to me) and offer a few personal notes. I will simply say to Christians everywhere, I think they have helped show us some shortcomings and areas we can improve upon. To outsiders, I hope you understand, not all Christians are what you see on TV, read about in the papers, or see in movies. I hope most of us are much better people than that, and I know the ones who are true to the calling of our faith, have our hearts in the right place.

The main message I got from the book is actually something I decided for myself many years ago. To me, the key to being a good Christian is the same as being a good friend, a good parent, and a good person. Meaningful Relationships.

I intend to write much more on this in the future, as I think it is a cornerstone of our existence.

So much of our faith seems superficial. You can tell from the research, the stories told by outsiders, and even insiders. Our faith is becoming a brand name, a label. Christian Music, Christian Books, Christian Movies. Our faith is not Apple, Microsoft, or WalMart. But, to many, the perception IS the same.

These findings should be alarming to all Christians. The book addresses six "broad themes-the most common points of skepticism and objections raised by outsiders." These are their perceptions, so we have to be concerned with them, valid or not. They are:

Hypocritical
Too focused on getting converts
Antihomosexual
Sheltered
Too Political
Judgmental

I encourage anyone interested in understanding the views of many young people "outside" the faith, or even just understanding the views of those younger people (16-35) in the faith, to consider reading this book. It is not an obsessive page turner, or gripping novel, but it does have lots of good notes, passages, stories, and ideas for changing the perception (right or wrong) of the younger generation of outsiders.

And it helped me take another look at my own life, to help me perform some self evaluation and improve myself. So, I will simply close with a few passages excerpted directly from the book which stood out to me. I am not putting them in any particular order, I just wanted to share them.

We have become famous for what we oppose, rather than who we are for.

Embracing truth without holding grace in tension leads to harsh legalism, just as grace without truth leads to compromise.

Transformation is a process, a journey, not a one-time decision. (Much like a wedding is an event, but a marriage is a commitment.-me)

Being a Christian is hard work. Putting the needs of others above your own, loving your neighbor, doing good with those who would do evil to you, exercising humility, suffering with those less fortunate, and doing it all with a pure heart is nearly impossible. None of us is perfect.

So many Christians are caught up in the Christian subculture and are so completely closed off from the world. We go to church on Sundays, Wednesdays, sometimes even Saturdays. We attend small group on Tuesday nights, serve on various committees, and even do church related trips, barbeques, and other events. Even if we wanted to reach outsiders, we don't have the time.

And I will close out with some views expressed by others in the book. I found them to be very insightful as well.

Philip Yancey, "What's So Amazing About Grace?"
"Having spent time around "sinners" and also around purported saints, I have a hunch why Jesus spent so much time with the former group: I think He preferred their company. Becauser the sinners were honest about themselves and had no pretense, Jesus could deal with them. In contrast, the saints put on airs, judged him, and sought to catch him in a moral trap. In the end, it was the saints, not the sinners, who arrested Jesus."

Andy Stanley North Point Ministries, Atlanta, GA
"If we were able to rewrite the script for the reputation of Christianity, I think we put the emphasis on developing relationships with nonbelievers, serving them, loving them, and making them feel accepted. Only then would we earn the right to share the gospel. Their acceptance by us would not be predicated on their willingness to accept Christ. After all, God loved us before we were lovable; God loved the whole world before the world knew anything about Him. This should be our model."

I have not really tried to summarize the entire book, I just wanted to share a few highlights. Maybe someone else will be inspired or helped in some small way. It helped me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)