Meaningful Songs

This was originally posted 2/11/2008

Okay, even though I have several ideas for my latest blog, I did promise to finish my Vegas "Recharge The Batteries" trip thoughts in this next post. So, I will be quite busy writing this week, but I did want to keep my promise first.

Since I traveled alone this time, I had ample opportunity to enjoy listening to music or the quiet sound of nothing.

When hiking, I chose silence. Most of the other times, I chose tunes. Now, I have to provide one other detail in this setup. During my childhood, one of my most vivid memories is my parents having their friends over on weekend nights and they would sit and listen to music together, and talk about news, politics, life, and the songs themselves. It's probably a vivid memory because it happened all the time.

Anyhow, it helped me to understand how some songs transcend from simple tune, to something more. This is not a revelation to anyone, but I did find myself listening to more of those tunes on my trip. And I thought I might list some of my favorites, and see if I get any feedback.

Some of these are for the overall message, some are for their unique viewpoint, but I find them all powerful. So, long-winded lead-in aside, here goes.

Country
"I Hope You Dance" – Lee Ann Womack
"The Car" – Jeff Carson
"Live Like You Were Dying" – Tim McGraw
"Then They Do" – Trace Adkins
"Butterfly Kisses" – Bob Carlisle
"Where Were You" – Alan Jackson
"Unconditional" – Clay Davidson
"Love, Me" – Collin Raye
"The Love Song" – Jeff Bates
"I Believe" – Brooks & Dunn
"Unanswered Prayers" – Garth Brooks
"The Change" - Garth Brooks
"Just Another Day In Paradise" – Phil Vassar
"There Goes My Life" – Kenny Chesney
"Letters From Home" – John Michael Montgomery
"Alyssa Lies" – Jason Michael Carroll
"Skin (Sarabeth)" – Rascal Flatts
"How Do I Live" – Trisha Yearwood

Christian
"I Can Only Imagine" – MercyMe
"Why" – Nichole Nordeman

Pop/Contemporary
"Beautiful" – Christina Aguilera

"Where My Heart Will Take Me" – Russell Watson

Now, let me clearly say, this is not every song I have found meaningful. This is the list of songs I came up with on my trip. There are many songs which still "rock", strike a chord, have a beautiful voice, or tell a poignant story. Some of the songs on the list, I only like to hear every once in awhile, others I love to hear over and over again. For some, it is the story told by the songwriter, others it may be a message. Some are a bit cute, some are raw. But they are all deep, meaningful songs.

I don't wish to rank them, but I will say a few do stand out most to me. "I Hope You Dance" has it's message of not being afraid to take a chance and live. "Where Were You" never fails to make me recall the events of 9/11 and the raw emotion of that day. "The Car" tells the story of a father and son, the father working hard to provide for the son, and the son simply wanting his father around. "Letters From Home" tells a soldier's story of how meaningful words of encouragement and keeping in touch matter. "Alyssa Lies" tells a tragic tale of child abuse, all because nobody paid enough attention to the signs.

The first time I heard "Why" in church I openly cried. In fact, everyone I could see around me had been similarly moved at it's personal telling of the crucifixion of Christ.

So, I would love to know songs that have profoundly moved others, or have a message so overpowering they stand out to you. I think, even though I do currently enjoy rock music so much, the Country genre lends itself to a more soulful ballads. So, please share your thoughts, your songs, and maybe I'll learn a few more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please James Dobson, Shut Up...

Health Care Debate (Part 2) Who's in charge here?

My Religion, Unplugged (Part 3)